At Livonia Print:
- we improve our waste management. During 2016 we have managed to increase recycled waste amount to almost 97% and the amount of unsorted waste according to ratio has been decreased to 3%.
- we reduce energy consumption. During 2015 and 2016 1054 fluorescent bulbs were replaced with LED bulbs which resulted in saved energy consumption 296,59 MWh per year.
- we use environmentally friendly products. About 90% of our chemicals are approved by Nordic Ecolabel, and about 80% of our chemicals are in compliance with EU Ecolabel criteria.
In 2016 in connection with Nordic Swan label we changed cobalt containing inks to cobalt-free inks. These changes were necessary because of the Nordic Swan new requirements – inks used for Nordic Swan labelled books cannot contain cobalt driers (cobalt driers are CMR classified). These changes also apply to the EU Ecolabel because cobalt-free inks suit for both our environmental certificates and are less harmful for human health and the environment.
- we invest in the most modern equipment. Our new printing presses use less energy, less paper for make-ready, have automatic pumping systems, waste less ink and washing agents.
- we reduce our VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) levels. About 65% of our washing agents are regenerated.
- we use a lot of FSC certified paper to produce our books, in this way we ensure that the forests used in paper production are managed in a sustainable way.
- we instruct all our staff and monitor that our strict environmental guidelines are met.
Our goals for the future are:
- to create a plan for reduction of energy consumption.
- to continue to improve waste management:
- to improve the overall quality of waste sorting;
- to improve general understanding of waste sorting among our employees;
- to develop a plan for waste minimization, in order to reduce the total amount of waste in all stages of production;
- to increase the recycled waste amount till 98% and to decrease the amount of unsorted waste till 2%.